Blog > Massages > Massages in Lisbon - How to find the most suitable for me?
published in 12 de Abril de 2021 | 4 reading time
"Massages in Lisbon - How to find the most suitable for me?"
Visiting a Spa for massages in Lisbon can be common for many, or it can be considered a luxury for others, however it is necessary for everyone. If you do not know where to go, see here, but first of all, follow our tips so that the massage is the most appropriate and has no disappointments.
In a cosmopolitan city, where the growth of Spas, massage centers has increased by 300% in the last 10 years, the response of locals, as well as the demand for massages, is also greater today.
Massage as a necessity for life
Contrary to popular belief, massages are an essential asset. It is generally considered to be part of complementary and integrative medicine. It is increasingly a standard treatment for a wide range of medical conditions. Studies show that it is a treatment with positive effects in reducing stress, pain, and relieving muscle tension.
Put aside any thought that a massage is just a way to feel good or to pamper yourself. On the contrary, a massage can be a powerful tool to take care of your health and well-being, whether you have a specific health problem or are looking for some pain relief.
Before looking for a massage in Lisbon, do the following exercise:
- Why you need a massage - pain, relax, energize, drain, prevention or similar
- Analyze what you feel. Observe your body and your pain. Where does it really come from.
- Think about when this pain, pathology, problem arose - was it yesterday, have you been feeling this for some time, and has it been getting worse? Is it the result of some physical strain? Health problem?
- Reflect on what you would really like to have in this massage. Use of aromatic oils, good technique, deep pressure, massage using pindas of medicinal herbs, a therapeutic massage that can be continued, drainage massage, massage with focus on the head? It is important that you understand what you are looking for and what your body and mind want and like because, as mentioned above, massage is a world of techniques and styles.
What to consider when looking for your massage in Lisbon
Before looking on social networks or on TripAdvisor, for the space that has the best rating and the most reviews:
- Analyze what the Spa menu offers - do they have the services you want?
- See photos of the space. Since you are going to spend a few hours inside the Spa, it should be a pleasant and beautiful space. Your visual experience is extremely important, it must touch all your senses.
- Understand the type of brands and products used. The product brands give credibility to the Spa.
- Call the Spa and ask questions to the professional who answered the phone. This way you will understand if the person on the other side understands what you are talking about, is aware of the best treatments for your needs and is knowledgeable of the benefits of each treatment, to be able to offer personalized advice.
- Understand if any type of health questionnaire is carried out to assess needs before performing your massage. Therapists need to understand what makes a client look for that specific massage.
What to expect from a massage and our suggestions
Massages can take many forms, but they must contain certain essential features:
- Slow movements with gentle to medium pressure for Relaxation massages. The Tranquil Journey massage at the Mandalay Spa in Lisbon is divine for complete body and mental relaxation.
- Medium to deep pressure for muscle work. If you are looking for muscle tension relief, at BluSpa Jupiter Lisboa you will find the Deep Blu massage, designed specifically for muscle tension.
- Faster and more draining friction movements for thinning and draining massages. If the need is to drain and tone at the BSpa by Karin Herzog located at the Hotel Altis Belém Lisbon, the Draining and Toning massage is ideal due to the use of green tea and Vitamin B12 in the treatment.
- Use of oils and creams with relaxing, calming, stress-relieving properties, etc. (depending on your need) ex. Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Vetiver (for relaxation). At Cityspa Lisboa the specialty is Aromatherapy massages. The oils are adapted to your needs.
- Use of hot stones to provide muscle relaxation and increase circulation, ex: pindas, hot oil or cream, heated massage table
- Lastly, the most important - Calm environment, without outside noise and therapists passionate about their profession.
Lisbon has fantastic Spas, awarded by international entities, and even if they are inserted in hotels, you do not need to be hosted to enjoy the infrastructures of the Spas water circuits.
Paula Guedes é partner da TOPSPA Consultants desde 2005, é Diretora Geral de Operações da area de gestão de spas e responsavel pela gestão de projectos de consultoria spa. É licenciada em Psicologia Social e das Organizações e MBA em gestão com especialização em Marketing. Iniciou a sua carreira na área de Recursos Humanos tendo sido Diretora de Recursos Humanos em multinacionais tecnologicas e de comunicações. É docente convidada nas cadeiras de Psicologia Organizacional, Gestão de Pessoas e e-learning em várias universidades. Na área de Spa, foi docente convidada em pós-graduações na Universidade do Algarve, Universidade Lusófona e em Escolas de Hotelaria.